Goole resident fined for abandoning waste offence
A resident from Goole has been ordered to pay £425.88 overall for the offence of abandoning waste under Section 2(2) of the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978.
In May 2020, an enforcement officer attended the rear of Percy Street in Goole following reports of a fly-tip.
The waste that was found included a bed frame, children's toys, a garden chair, a stool, a black sack and a green box of household waste. Evidence was found relating to an address on Percy Street.
Numerous attempts were made to interview the occupier of the address, Miss Alice Stopford, but the resident failed to make contact with the council at any point. The incident was passed for prosecution and Miss Stopford attended court on 16th April and pleaded guilty to the offence.
The resident was ordered to pay a total of £393.88 including a fine and costs, and a £32 victim surcharge.
East Riding of Yorkshire Council continues to remind residents they are responsible for disposing of their own waste properly and legally - either by using their household bins, taking it to their local household waste recycling site or using the council's bulky waste service.
Paul Tripp, head of streetscene services at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: "There is no excuse for residents to ignore their responsibilities and dump waste on streets or behind houses.
"We will continue to investigate all reports of dumping of waste and littering and take the necessary enforcement action."
- Residents can report any fly-tipping or suspicious activity to the council on 01482 393939, or online at eastriding.gov.uk/fly-tipping
- People are asked not to touch any fly-tipped waste or approach anyone they see fly-tipping.
- To find your nearest household waste recycling site visit the council's website eastriding.gov.uk and search for 'recycling'.
- The council provides a service offering to take away bulky waste, which costs £33 for up to five items, and can be booked through the website. Just search for 'bulky waste collections'.
- For guidance on how to check if a person is a licensed registered waste carrier visit the council's website eastriding.gov.uk/fly-tipping